3 January 2012

Rome

 I almost missed my bus cause the sign was all in Italian and all the names are different and I didn't know I would be going though Florence. I booked about 6 or 7 days at an all female hostel that had previously been a convent. It was cheap and the breakfast was free.

The first day I just kinda collapsed on my bed and slept until dinner then had that which was super strange. There was a restaurant at the hostel which I think was also some type of feminist meeting spot. AKA lesbian central. Whatever. I was the only one there for a long time until a handful of females on dates with other females showed up and all tried out the little English they knew on me. "Delicious?"

Next day I was late heading out but went to these ruins but got to the Colosseum late but don't even worry cause the ticket was good for two days. I hit up as many tourist views as possible all in this time. To be honest there is ancient shit EVERWHERE. You will just be trying to get to the grocery store and hit a couple ruins or piazza's on the way. It's pretty intense or overwhelming.

Imperial Forums


I passed this and I don't even know it's name. I just tried looking it up on a map. Doesn't even say. 



Comune di Roma





View from the steps


I didn't like this aspect of Italy at all



Fountain of Trevi


Pantheon



Largo di Torre Argentina


Walking home I noticed this and a lot of guano by the river. Apparently Rome started when two brothers were nursed by a wolf but then one brother killed the other. You know how they are.  


Nice view despite the bat poop and near bestiality.  



Next day I went to the coliseum first thing. Holy shit this is real moment. 


Then I headed to the Vatican. 


Inside the Vatican museums. 


Sistine Chapel was another holy shit moment. Even if I was allowed to take photos they wouldn't really do it justice. 

Then there were several statutes.


Next I went to St. Peter's Square. 


I was moving fast. Passing people as usual however on my way into the Basilica I tripped up the stairs, as deserved. I said "JESUS". Whoops to any that believe in that. Logical thought does not allow me. Inside. 


In the mornings I had been enjoying free breakfast and talking to people. This is foreign to me but sometimes I can forego my social awkwardness and talk to strangers with the help of coffee or alcohol. So I met two Korean girls, a mother and daughter from St. Paul, a Spanish girl and the girl next to me in my room who sounded eastern European and only spent the first night actually in her own bed after stumbling in pretty wasted. 

One day I spent several hours on the internet editing photos and planning the rest of my trip. Up until that point I really hadn't done much planning. When I was done I went to eat this truffle ice cream ball. After two bites I realized it was too rich for even me but I managed to choke it down and then go shopping as I needed to replace my cardigan. 


Some palazzo  near the shopping district. 


When I got back I was a little bored. I went on the internet and several dudes had messaged on couchsurfer. Most were total douchbags. Saying things like "You won" and then going on to tell me I "won" their attention and asking if I wanted to hang out while I was in Rome, so lucky for me. Other than this I didn't really notice any Italian male attention cause I always had my ipod on and was in a hurry. Anyway one guy just said hi and then if I needed a place to stay I could. I assumed he read my profile and wanted to be friends as we had similar interests. So I message him because going out at night could be nice right? So I am having fun on the internet and chatting. He suggests we go to some spot and I say okay and start trying to figure out how to get there. There are two computers in this hostel I just got on one and there is this weirdo group of women on the other and one of them keeps crying and walking around. This strikes me as odd but I let it slide. I leave to use the washroom for a minute while something downloaded. 

Enter drunk Italian lady. 

During the time I left, which was fast (only a one), she went on to the computer I was using and restarted it. I said I was using this I just needed to use the washroom. Then she went on about how people use the computer for more than ten minutes, she kinda motioned at the other computer and the crying lady. I didn't give a fuck and said "you're talking about me, I do that". At this point some random Canadian girl that she was with goes "where are you from?" Are you kidding me? This is a good time to ask that. "Canada" then she keeps going.. "yeah but where?" "Winnipeg" then she shuts up? I am trying to explain that I was downloading something and I would have given it to her I don't really care. She kept babbling that she needed it cause her laptop broke. Cool I don't even have one of those (I do have a wifi device but whatever hard to surf on also no wifi in the rooms) and I just got on the computer. (I honestly never used the computer for more than ten minutes if there wasn't another free unless I was doing something serious like booking plane tickets or hostels). Not to mention that it was open and she restarted it for some reason. She claimed that it just did that? Oh brother. She finally gives it back so I can finish whatever I was doing. During this time I still hear her audibly complaining with the Canadian girl but then the conversation turns to female on female experimentation? 

Back to my new Italian friend. I find out that in order to meet up with him that I would have to transfer twice for a 45 minute walk I don't feel like taking. During our chat we somehow start talking about how much walking I do and my body? which I assure him is mediocre at best. It got mildly creepy despite my best efforts. Somehow my disinterest in this voyage eventually turns into him coming to pick me up. I have already decided I am not really into this but then have an ingenious idea. Change my status to in a relationship! So I message my favorite boy to not worry about the status change and "it's complicated". Instantly works clearly not looking for friendship. He stops replying however did require some damage control with said boy confused by my actions and why I was talking to some Italian creeper in the first place. 

Somewhere in all of this the Spanish girl's food got stolen. She told me so I would check is mine did too. Nope. Who does this? Who steals food from a fridge in a hostel in a former convent? Apparently a girl. 

Next day I went to this Church. This was the ceiling. 


After that I went out for a meal with my new Korean friend. She is really sweet and nice and we talked at length about Korean culture and the good and bad about it in comparison to Western. 

I had planned on going to see Onyx that night. They were playing at some club with the Beatnuts. I went alone as usual really but when I got to the club there was a big crowd outside. I do not speak Italian and there were no girls. I felt very uncomfortable and just walked through the crowd and tried to see what was going on. I don't know. I stood on the other side of the street for a bit. Then I walked around the block but when I returned there was no change. I walked home. This was the only time I did not have my ipod on and I only saw two men and both cat called me. Weird place. 

Next morning I ate breakfast as usual. Alone and watching a film on my wireless device. I had a tiny table and suddenly a girl sat with me... I moved my tray to make room for her but as I did looked up to notice that several more comfortable spaces were available. Oh fuck this girl wants to get friendly... WHY ME. I often get in shit from friends to be nicer and to be friendlier... but it stresses me out in a way I'm sure most people don't understand. In a constant effort to improve myself though I take the situation on, making small talk and the like. In no way enriching my life but hey yet another small hurdle and victory for me. 

Oh remember the Eastern European girl? Well she I guess had some great Italian love affair which is why she did not sleep in her rented bed. I guess things did not work out cause she spent most of the day crying to her laptop in the corner. What did you think would happen? When I went out later at night she was sitting outside alone at a table drinking a glass of white. Visibly and audibly still crying in the cold. Uhhhh what? I like the girls I know but this hostel made me wonder. Why and when would it ever be okay to just cry just walk around making everyone feel REALLY uncomfortable. Go to your room, talk to your mom, I don't fucking know but in six days two criers?!?! I think three but I can't even remember one... Even privately I feel like movies and death are really the only acceptable times to cry out in the open passed the age of ten. 

I packed and waited until it is time to take the overnight to Venice. I actually almost missed it which was terrifying. People do not respect the seat assignments on these I find out. I also met a lovely Korean lady and a man from Africa that wanted to write to people. I suggested that he try out the internet, specifically sites catering to language exchanges or friendship. Good night. 

Discovered and fell in love with this there.

No comments:

Post a Comment