26 December 2011

Copenhagen

After a short layover in Dubai which was nice and filled with people napping in strange places, I landed in Copenhagen. People looked the way I expected... tall, pale and well dressed.


I met up with my host Amund, at the main transportation hub in the city. He is a lovely young student and b-boy who also loves to travel.

It turned out that I arrived right in the middle of culture week. During this time there are performances of all kinds throughout the city that were cheaper provided you bought the pass. We spent a lot of time trying to fix up a bike for me and saying hi to every single person that walked by. (Apparently if you live in the same building you are automatically all friends and lend each other things and say hi.) After trying out 4 different air pumps and patching an inner tube we realized that I was way too short to actually ride said bike. WHOOPS. I tried anyway but made Amund look away in case I fell. 

We walked to get tickets and then Amund had school work to do so after discussing our top ten hip hop albums of all time and my realizing he looked exactly like my first love (Andrew Skovgaard) which made sense because at that moment I remember Andy's grandpa was from Denmark (Skovgaard doy) I went for a walk. It was cold but the sunset was beautiful and everyone looked awesome.


This walk was a bit nice HOWEVER one major oversight was how I would get back in. I had no idea which button to push and when I did call I the nice man from the store maybe dialed wrong because the phone didn't ring. I sat in some chairs that were on the sidewalk for a while until a lady asked me to watch her van didn't get towed asked why I was out there and then it turned out she lived in the same complex and let me in.

Then we went to a kids play. It was about a fixie riding mosquito that falls in love. The spider parts were the best. Also the bee soldiers but they were a bit off. I am so critical though. I was so jetlagged and slept through the ballet parts.






After this we met up with one of Amund's friends and went to a party. Outside there were all these tarzan ropes. Here's Vibe in them! She is the best!


The party itself was inside an old brewery and there was art? hanging from the ceiling and some type of electronic music playing and a projector showing a girl dancing in a room with similar art decor in black in white playing on a loop. Then I used the washroom and when I tried to get by a girl she got mad and tried to start a fight. I am not used to this at that point since this would NEVER happen in Korea. Here's Amund looking at his phone!


Vibe left cause she lives really far away and we met up with two of Amund's other friends. They were both blond and intoxicated a bit. We talked about how cool Denmark is and walked around. There was a club to go to but it costed 10 dollars and I was too tired. Amund looked bummed and I felt bad.

Next day we went to Amund's bboy practice. If you follow this blog you know that this breakdancing is something I follow but is kinda a weird guilty pleasure. There is a lot of beef between Koreans and the rest of the world cause Koreans keep winning everything but only came up in the last 10 years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Year). They get a lot of shit for only for not really being able to dance but instead just relying heavily on power moves. It is partially true, Koreans do not really have natural rhythm which I learned quick after trying to get my class of preschoolers to clap along to a song with me. CHAOS. Regardless, though it is somewhat true (hong10) there are always exceptions to the rule (rivers crew). Watching the practice reminded me how I really was not in Korea anymore these boys were dancing to the music not dancing with music in the background.

After I decided to take a quick nap which actually ended up taking 15 hours? Whoops. I didn't really believe in jet lag before this point. Sunday morning we found a breakfast buffet which I clearly got down with hard then Admund and I said goodbye and he went to visit his grandma.


I spent the rest of the day walking around and seeing all the sites. Here are some of the pics. I went to two museums as well. I really wanted to see more "Viking Shit" but there wasn't a ton to my displeasure. 






I obviously went to Christiania but no photos allowed. It's a former military barrack come hippy squat where now you can freely buy, sell and smoke weed but not take pictures. Blech. My feet really hurt because I was still breaking in my new docs. I made my way to the train station and sat with a homeless man on a bench until my bus came.

For this entry's video I decided on Nas because we agreed it was one of the top ten hip hop songs ever, along with a couple others.



No comments:

Post a Comment