12 January 2011

Bangkok

Part 3
Day 1

I have no silly name for this post. Sorry. Okay so I slept on the bus and I got a weird rash from the blanket. But I can officially sleep ANYWHERE. It is amazing. The bus dumped us out on Khao San road which is like the big foreigner hot spot. But it was 6am, I got to see a girl puke and guys find rooms with hookers. But as the sun rose things cleaned up a bit and I got to see monks out getting food and food stalls getting set up. Most importantly the sunrise. How nice. My plan for the day was to just walk around find things to barter for (obviously something I am good at and like doing). Try to find internet and food. Internet because I had tentative plans to meet up with Craig. Mostly I just walked around aimlessly. Here are some things I saw.

This is a delightful coconut bun? I have no idea I just pointed at things and gave the woman money. One of them I though was red bean with icing turned out it was meat with mayo. Whoops. It was kinda good though the meat was like shredded into the same consistency as cotton candy and kinda sweet. But then I got bummed cause I only eat fish.



Then I snuck around this temple and this almost made we weep it was so nice. I couldn't go in because I was too sexy. More on this later.


Temple in Bangkok
Uploaded by melaniereimer. - Explore international webcam videos.






Okay then something so crazy happened AGAIN. As I mentioned I had plans to find Craig but I was just really enjoying my time and not stressing about anything in the world. Then I looked up and TA DAA! Craig was standing in front of me. Can you believe it?!? I still can't. We had breakfast and he let me have a shower at his hotel. We were a little nervous about me going in because of this.



But no worries I'm not Thai not to mention it's only 6 bucks.

Here's some beautiful art Craig promised to complete on his door.



We went sightseeing. I grabbed pants cause as I mentioned my leg showing above the knee too sexy. Turns out my bare shoulders too. While trying to enter the palace there was a lady monitoring whether dress was appropriate and just yelled too sexy at me. So this is as close as I got to anything. Luckily I am indifferent.









Craig and I ate at a place called Ethos several times. It was good and vegetarian. We shopped a bit and found a Malaysian flight for him. I found a shirt of River Phoenix smoking in Stand by Me and a dress. Something fun I should mention is that Craig is a superstar in Thailand. Often people's gaze would linger and this is something I have grown accustom to in Korea cause of my small face and blue eyes UNTIL I realized they weren't looking at me at all. They all love Craig's tattoos. Constantly making remarks. Take that ego.

Then we met up with Carrie and Josh. Here is Carrie in Craig's room which we determined is the room from the film "The Beach".



We ate at Ethos AGAIN. We left Craig and headed to Josh and Carrie's. On the way home I found the mother load of t-shirts. I actually had to say no to myself and limit how many I bought. Carrie drew me the nicest map and I went to bed.

Day 2

Here is the view from Carrie and Josh's place! They are the best!



I had no plans but I wanted to try to find souvenirs for people. It didn't work out but I went to the mall. I wanted to watch a film but I missed the one Carrie suggested. I didn't find anything I wanted to buy which is probably for the best. Here are some things in the mall.

An amusement park!



Two important men in my teenage life. There was also a store that was all pictures of k-pop stars. I can't escape them.



hahahahahaha. I lol'd alone in the mall.



Here are some things I ate.

I was so pumped on these. There were like greasy coconut fried pancakes or something. Topped off with an iced coffee!



Fried rice, though I asked for spicy and pad thai still a great taste.



Mango Sticky Rice. Seriously the best. Salty, sticky and sweet!



I decided that I should just go to the apartment relax and sit by the pool to gain a sick tan. I guess while I was in the the mall the rest of Bangkok set up their stands on Carrie and Josh's street rendering it unrecognizable to me. I got lost. Followed this little canal for a while and finally found Josh and Carrie's to find them hurriedly packing for our next adventure.



Then we headed to the most crowded train station I have ever seen and I have seen many. There is a special bench just for monks! Neat! We boarded the train for Phi Phi



The conclusion next post!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Mel! I made that same mistake about the cotton candy. They sometimes sell it in crepes with Nutella and sweets so I thought I would get one for dessert one night- literal translation turns out to be "pig hair" or something like that, and while it is not actually hair, it is definitely pork. Almost barfed... tasted like pig hair to me!

    Agreed that finding Craig was the coolest...twice. Still cannot wait to go back to Ethos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mango sticky rice looks delicious! My favourite part of your entire blog so far is when the lady yelled "too sexy" at you. It needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete