1 September 2010

The Voyage

Getting to Toronto and being there were GREAT! Aunty Carol, Uncle Kalid, Shireen and Michelle were more than hospitable and my Visa went through without any issues. Also while in the Korean Consulate waiting room I made two new friends! Cassandra and Kristin, Kristin was even on the same flight! Did I mention how great Aunty Carol and Uncle Kalid are? They helped me out with everything, even hung out with me in line (thank you a million times if you are reading this!). One minor flaw to this day was that I found out I was going to have to wait four hours after landing then get on a bus on my own to Chuncheon. Not cool, when I talked to the recruiter she told me I could have breakfast. Really??? a four hour breakfast with two 25 pound bags. So they organized a driver for me, thank god.

The flight was fine, suprisingly 14 hours didn't seem that long. I didn't even crack the September issue. I watched some bad movies and eat bimbibap and congee on the plane.

Driver was there no big deal, however the weather was. There was a typhoon I guess, maybe just a serious storm. My bags immediately got soaked and I was drenched. My driver said Chuncheon and gave me the thumbs up and said okay. I said ok and were were off. Only to then have to sit in the car for six hours. The storm knocked over several trees down on to the only highway to Chuncheon. The drive should take one hour two tops. We just circled until the highway was cleared however during that time the traffic increased tenfold. At one point the traffic was moving so slowly that my driver actually fell asleep.

Finally we got through and we were able to see the damage on the side of the highway which was pretty insane huge trees were cracked in half and electrical lines were down. While we passed the debris my driver hit my leg and made animated facial expressions, like check this out pretty crazy huh. I really have no idea what he said ever. Otherwise the scenery leaving seoul was beautiful. Rolling hills and mountain with misty peaks. The highway cut through the mountains in little tunnels that from afar looked like hobbit holes but inside were like the Lincoln Tunnel. I really wish I had bought batteries for my camera but I am sure I will be back that way soon enough.

I have to admit with all the problems I had with booking the flights, the VISA process and have to ask for a driver I did not have high expectations for the school what so ever. But two lovely ladies were waiting for me and were very excited/apologetic when they saw me. They brought me in, introduced me to the other teachers and some of the kids. The kids are cute! Just like he said in the interview and the teachers seem alright. I mean we will see won't we. There are tons of materials too. The power is out at me apartment so I am just sitting in a room listening to kids screaming but it is relieving to just be planted somewhere. Going to eat lunch now, Talk to you again soon.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see your pictures. Sounds like quite the adventure so far and that it was a good thing you did not have to find your own way to Chuncheon. I am kind of envious. Love you XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an introduction to Korea! I am excited to hear about your living quarters, etc. I would have been so scared if any of that had happened to me!!! You are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to read your words! You are my hero! Love you! XOXOX.

    ReplyDelete